Wednesday, October 11, 2006

HSAO Orientation - Assignment 1

I just posted my answers for the assignment that's due tomorrow (today, I guess... eep, I'm up late) on the class notebook, and I thought I'd post them here as well. I don't know that anyone else would be interested in them, but I'd like to have them somewhere for my own record.

I'll put all that at the end of this entry.

I'm really enjoying the reading I'm doing for the orientation. Some of the things I'm reading feel challenging, but in a very good way. If I focus and am patient with myself, the language becomes clearer and I begin to understand and piece it together. I found the stuff about phenomenological reality, truth, fact, and axiom very interesting, once I began to understand it. It's something I can apply to a lot of things in my life.

This came from an article I was reading on the subject:

Most of the cultural conflict in the world occurs when certain individuals or groups try to impose their phenomenological realities or truths on other people or communities.

I think that might be true.

Anyway, here's the assignment and my response to it. I feel pretty silly about my answers to 3 and 4; they didn't seem particularly "alive" to me. Just kind of dorky. But I did try to make them the sort of thing Ms. Kelly was looking for.

* * *

1. List the four terms in any order you like.
- Phenomenological reality
- Truth
- Fact
- Axiom

The reading for this assignment made me think of Don Quixote. He made his phenomenological reality into a truth in a way, I think, if I've understood things correctly.

2. Include at least one sentence describing something you learned this week (from your studies here or in other places).
I'm still reading a lot about the Knights Templar, though a little more slowly now that I'm working on HSA orientation as well. I learned about Robert the Bruce, and about King Philippe IV, and how they affected the Templars.

Actually, a lot of the stuff I've learned this week about the four levels of reality can be applied to the history of the Knights Templar. For instance, Philippe's grudge against the Templar was partly due to the fact that he believed they posed a danger to him/his kingdom. Regardless of whether that was reality or not, it was his phenomenological reality. It might even have been truth. His greed played into it, too - the Templar were rumored to guard a great treasure, and his funds were very low. I think that would count as truth at least, because a lot of people believed (and still believe) that. Whether it could be termed fact or not, I'm not sure. I don't have sufficient information to call it fact, and my reading makes it sound like noone does.


3. Write a sentence describing yourself using three adjectives.
(Here is a boring example: I am nice, sweet and kind -make yours come alive) .


I am thoughtful, quiet, and interested.

4. Describe yourself using a metaphor that compares you to the weather.
(Here is a boring example: I am a sunny day -make yours a vivid reflection).


I am a quiet, calm lake, on the pleasantly warm day when the rain comes down in droplets to make the lake's surface splash up, regardless of the still-present sunshine.

* * *

Edited to include Ms. Kelly's comments:

Interesting that you thought of Don Quixote and his views of reality. I agree that he believed his reality was a truth, although we, the readers, saw a different truth in his life and actions.

I am glad you were able to apply your learning to a topic in which you are obviously interested.

Lovely metaphor.

Jac

No comments: