Wednesday, October 18, 2006

HSAO Orientation - Assignment 3

Assignment Three

What do you love and why?

I looked around on the internet to to find some different definitions of "love," and I found this description of a certain kind of love, "agape," on Wikipedia:

Agape - the term was used by the early Christians (Greek to be specific, as the word is of Greek origin) to refer to an unconditional acceptance, favour and affinity toward a person. It is a love that is based on a decision instead of a feeling.

I like that description, and it seems the most fitting for how I love certain people, so I will use that definition for my answer.

I think the biggest examples of love in my life are my dad and my cousin Maddy. My dad and I became a lot closer after my mom died, because it was just the two of us. He travels a lot for work, but when he's home he's really good about making sure we get to spend time together and stuff. He's been all over the world, so he knows all sorts of oddball stuff and has all kinds of stories. It's been kind of hard for him because we stayed here after Mom died, and he doesn't really get along with my mom's family. But he wanted us to stay here so I could grow up with family around and everything. Which I'm really glad of, and which brings me to the other person I mentioned, my cousin Maddy! She should be showing up around here soon, I think, to join the orientation.

Anyway, Maddy's my cousin, and also my best friend. We've been really close for a long time. She's pretty awesome. She's really smart, has occasionally bizarre taste in movies, and, I'm told, currently has possession of halloween themed ice cream sandwiches.

No comments: